Lentils are an underused whole food, in my opinion. They can be a bit bland if cooked in water and served alone, but in the right recipe they can really shine.
This Moroccan Chicken recipe is one of the most flavorful dishes I have ever prepared. The smells in the house were euphoric and my husband was BEYOND impressed with the change-up in my usual go-to dinner schedule.
Now, don’t get intimidated by the ingredient list. The flavor profile on this is HUGE because of the number of spices. It is suggested to make up double or triple amounts of the spices so the next time you prepare this dish, you can eliminate this step in the process. Be sure to post below what you think!
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1-1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. allspice
- salt and pepper
- 6-8 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion
- 2-3 carrots (depending on size) peeled and sliced
- 2-3 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- 1 (15 oz.) can organic diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup raisins
Morroccan Chicken Directions:
- Mix first 7 ingredients and salt and pepper in a bowl. Pat the chicken thighs dry and coat each thigh with spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove chicken and set aside.
- To the pan, add onion and cook until translucent. Stir in the garlic, celery and carrots and saute for an additional minute. Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken broth, bay leaves, lentils and raisins. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Place chicken thighs on top.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes or until lentils are tender and chicken is cooked through.
Amber is CEO of The Healthy Edge. She has passionately
created The Healthy Edge lifestyle system and a comprehensive health coach certification program to further her mission of empowering people to live their most abundant life.