What to do with Thanksgiving leftovers
Need an idea for the extra turkey and mashed potatoes (besides just eating them)? Check out this delicious recipe for Leftover Turkey Cakes and enjoy a fresh new spin to holiday leftovers.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup sweet onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped cooked leftover turkey (or chicken)
- 2 cups mashed and cooked sweet potatoes (or white potatoes)
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- ½ cup organic shredded cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp thyme (dried)
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Heat ½ tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté for approximately 5 minutes or until tender.
- In a large mixing bowl, add onions, garlic, turkey, sweet potatoes, oats, cheese, green onions, thyme, salt, and pepper. Combine until thoroughly mixed. Divide mixture into 4 or 5 equal portions and shape into 3/4 inch patties.
- In the same skillet used to cook the onions and garlic, add remaining olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add patties to skillet; cook each side for approximately 4-5 minutes.
This recipe also works FABULOUS with leftover chicken! You may substitute 2 cups sliced mushrooms for the sweet onions or add 1 cup sliced mushrooms in addition to sweet onions.
The best way to create the patties is to wash your hands, roll up your sleeves and use your bare hands to shape the mixture into the desired number of patties. Eat by themselves, or serve on sprouted whole grain bread with Dijon mustard and your favorite toppings!
Did you hear about our 10 Day Ftimas Challenge beginning December 1st? There is still time to learn about it and join us here. We love supporting you through the holidays with realistic and inspiring health support!
Amber is CEO of The Healthy Edge. She has passionately
created The Healthy Edge lifestyle system and a comprehensive health coach certification program to further her mission of empowering people to live their most abundant life.